Sunday, January 30, 2011

Unpacking Jobs

Well the first job I looked at among my classmates' blogs and found interesting was 2D ANIMATOR: KABAM STUDIOS that Mike posted. I found this studio appealing to me because it mainly focuses on traditional 2D animation and are searching for people who know how to traditionally animate and traditional 2D animation is without a doubt my favorite type of animation and I love doing it. I like the fact that the company mentions that someone who'd work with them would ought to know who Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, or Richard Williams are. Those are some of my favorite animators and I am a big fan of the pioneers of animations.
I'm not sure if I'd fit into "gaming" animation though. I've never been a big video game player like most of my animation friends so I suppose gaming animation is something I should read into to get a better understanding. I don't know flash, but the studio is looking for the willingness to learn, and character design skills and some 3D animation experience is a plus. I don't have 4+ years of traditional animation experience at a gaming company either. I'm not too hot on the idea of moving to another state. I want to be able to start a career at home if anyway possible. The film industry is bombing in LA because of the taxes are low. Not only are films being shot is LA, post production studios are being permanently established which will create more jobs in the area and maybe attract other types of studios. Here is a link to an articlr about another company planting a studio in New Orleans very similar to the studio that just opened near my house in Covington. demonstrates application of the principles of animation to tell a story with meaning through movement. And again, my knowledge and experience with using traditional animation would help me out if I were to apply for this job. I'm surprised that computer animation experience is not even required even though it is preferred. So if I were to apply, my 2D animation will be my strong point since I have not much experience with 3D rigging. I definitely need more experience in 3D animation though. I'm all about emotions and expressions in my drawings and animation. I should make sure I include animation in my reel that demonstrates my skills in expressing thought and emotion through my characters.
Of course a job at Disney would be a dream for me and for most animators. I couldn't begin to count how many times people have told me that I should work for Disney. The
Talent Development Artist Program seems to be freaking awesome and something to consider because it is only 3-6 months and I'd get paid to learn!! A firm understanding of animation principles is expected, which is something I love to study and strive to accomplish in my animation. Practice, practice, and practice is what I need indeed. I want to have quantity and quality work to put onto demo reels so that I can demonstrate my knoweledge and use of these principles.
All this research is getting me excited about making my demo reel!!! I think I have some nice pieces of animation to put into it.
The research I've done has also given me a good idea of what should go on my reel. I should make an outline of what I think my demo reel should consist of and how much of what I put in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment